
When making Powerpoint and/or Smartboard presentations it is important to always keep your audience in mind, and try to avoid killing them with "death by power point". This weeks required readings helped remind me that I needed to make some modifications to my Back to School Night Powerpoint presentation. For the most part this presentation was o.k., and I had already made a few simple changes prior the presentation in August. However, there was one very long and content rich slide that focused on the curriculum. I liked the fact that the bullet points allowed for me to elaborate on each point rather than simply read descriptors to the parents. However, the slide required me to click on the mouse or Smartboard for each bullet point to appear. It would then fly in a quite distractingly manner. In addition, I felt like I was tethered to either the keyboard or Smartboard (I also plan to use a remote control next time). I have since made changes the that huge and distracting slide. It is now broken up into several slides that each contain a simple picture or graphic which compliments the content. I believe this new format will also help parents with English barriers better understand the content. Each year I speak to my students about how visuals can with compliment or distract an audience. We have already had a conversation in class since some students had been adding distracting images and animations to their blog posts.
No comments:
Post a Comment